The fast fashion industry is big business – and it’s only getting bigger. Before we go any further – what exactly determines a fast fashion retailer? Essentially, it is when the production process is accelerated in order to get new catwalk trends into stores or online as quickly as possible. It also reflects the growing consumer desire for speed and value within retail.
Brands such as H&M and Zara were said to be among the very first fast fashion retailers. When the latter opened its first US store in 1990 (having first launched in Spain in the 1970s) it announced that it would only take 15 days for a garment to go from concept to completion.
The fast fashion industry has come under fire in recent years for its impact on the environment, as well as suggestions that the demand for cheap clothing is driving poor working and labour conditions.
If you want to cut down on your fast-fashion habits or simply cannot afford to buy a new outfit for every occasion, there are plenty of ways to refurbish old looks and make a once-worn ensemble look off-the-rack new.
I do feel that repeating outfits can be surprisingly easy, but does take some creativity. Not everyone has enough clothes to wear a different ensemble every day. Hence, Voguenaari has found 5 ways to recycle your favourite outfits to wear again and again. In this way, we all can support sustainability.
5 Ways To Repeat Clothes in your Daily Life:
1. Layering :
Layering isn’t just a dressing technique. There are several things to know for layering like a pro. Personally, I think layering equals fashion. Right? I bet I am right. You have to layer yourself professionally. If you layer 200 pieces at once, you gotta look weird. Certainly, you have to experiment with lengths, colors, textures, patterns, trends and structure, but do it wisely.
Best ways to style your outfits through layering are:
- Pair your Oversized Denim jacket with elongated white tee & knee ripped black skinnies.
- A hoodie looks pretty cool worn atop black fit-and-flare dress styled with black leather skinny trousers tucked in pointed-toe black leather ankle-boots.
- Wear your black denim jackets with any bold colour jumpsuit or short dress.
- As bold colours are in trend, try wearing neon’s with your cool denims.
- Layer your plain kurti with printed pants & jackets along with oxidised jewellery.
- Style your printed tops with white denim shorts & bright colour shirt.
You can easily reuse your old shirts as jackets for layering, patch your torn denims to look more trendy, dupatta as scarf & chop your denim so that you can use them as shorts.
2. Experiment is a must.
It is always important to experiment while you’re planning to mix-match your outfits. You can style your simple white dress in 6 different ways like:
Pair it with a thick belt, pastel long skirt, oversized denim shirt/jacket, bright coloured palazzo pants ,Dupatta, etc.
The best way to turn a look around is sometimes to literally turn it around,”
Try wearing your shirts in an asymmetrical way (or) wear your tops with zipper in a reverse way (or)wear your short skirt as a tube top. Convert a long sleeved-shirt into a skirt in seconds by pulling it over your legs and bum and then tying the sleeves around your waist into a bow. These looks can make you look out of the box.
TIP: You can also try doing a DIY with your outfits such as Have a sequin garment you don’t wear anymore? Remove the sequins and sprinkle them into a vase of flowers. Gorgeous! (or) you can take a plain top and make it sparkling ready for a party by sticking sequins.
3. Create a Capsule Wardrobe
The trick to having variety in your style without having to change your outfit every single day is to invest in a handful of key, good-quality pieces that can be easily mixed and matched.
- For example: A little black dress, White maxi dress, denim shorts, leather skirt, plain basic tees, etc.
How to select your capsule collection:
Sum: Decide how many items you want in your capsule.
See: Lay out everything you have so you can see your full range of options.
Sort: Rate your items, an decide what you want to keep.
Select: Select the items you want to include after sorting.
Shed: put the remaining items back in your closet or in a donation bin, depending on what your goals are.
“So what are some items you need for your capsule wardrobe?
In my experience, you can’t go wrong with well-fitted mom jeans, a check menswear blazer, an elegant slip dress, a classic leather jacket, comfortable mule flats, a crisp white shirt, cool sneakers, and an oversized cashmere sweater. These items can all be dressed up or down with accessories depending on the occasion.”
4. Accessories do make an impact
The secret to look great in even the most basic clothes, something that the world’s most stylish girls have mastered: the art of accessorizing.
Your clothes can be totally basic and you’ll still look incredible if you add the right accessories. You can find incredible accessories at any budget, so it’s a great way to stretch your wardrobe and save money. But remember not to over do it. Here are some more tips to accessorizing like a pro:
- Long necklaces are a hot trend.
- If you’re wearing an outfit that is big and voluminous, scale back on the accessories. If you’re wearing something sleeker, you can go a little bigger and bolder with a chunky cocktail ring or big, bright handbag.
- Large earrings can be a great way to dress up a casual or formal outfit.
- Add a wide belt over a flowy dress, or use a brightly colored belt over a black cardigan and white tank to add interest to the outfit and emphasize your curves.
- The more basic the outfit, the bolder your accessories can be.
- If your outfit is plain (black and white, black and grey, etc.), create a pop of color with jewelry, a scarf, a handbag, or a bright shoe. Remember that outfits don’t have to MATCH, but they do have to GO – keep things in similar color families (warm colors or cool colors), and you’ll generally be fine.
- Headgears are also in trend like bandana,etc.
TIP: Exercise a little bit of restraint with accessories – if you have statement earrings on, don’t add bangles, a cocktail ring, and a scarf. Keep it to one or two main pieces.
Best places to find quirky accessories are:
5. Hairstyles makes a difference.
Along with the dressing style, hairstyle also matters the most. If you have styled your outfit perfectly but your hair look clumsy, then you’re look is incomplete. Sometimes, you don’t even have to try mixing and matching clothing items to spruce up your look. Keep your attire the same, but experiment with different hairstyles to transform the look instead. How you style your hair plays a large role in how you choose to re-wear an outfit. Try braiding, putting up a bun or a high pony, sleek straight hair, which will make you look different in all your looks.
As, Global demand for clothing looks set to increase significantly over the coming decade, as millions of people in developing countries enter the middle class and spend more on apparel. It has become necessary to have control on your shopping abilities. Try to essentially use your clothes, and repeat clothes in your daily life .
START SAVING -BE CREATIVE- START EXPLORING.
Read more fashion blogs only on www.thevoguenaari.com